Earlier this year, we announced that we were working towards becoming a BCorp. In an era marked by increasing awareness of social and environmental challenges, it has meant that businesses are being called upon to adopt a more responsible and sustainable approach to how they operate. This week, we signed the Better Business Act which represents a significant step towards aligning our business with the key pillars you need in order to achieve the highly coveted BCorp status.
The Better Business Act is a legislative proposal aimed at redefining the purpose of businesses and embedding sustainability, accountability, and fairness into their operations. By signing the act, businesses commit to prioritizing the interests of stakeholders beyond shareholders and working towards achieving a sustainable and inclusive economy. It emphasizes the need for transparency, responsible corporate governance, and long-term thinking.
Why Signing the Better Business Act Matters:
- Driving Sustainable Practices: Signing the Better Business Act signifies our commitment to embracing sustainable practices and integrating environmental and social considerations into our decision-making processes. By doing so, we contribute to reducing our carbon footprint, minimizing waste, and adopting responsible sourcing practices, thereby mitigating the negative impact of our operations on the planet.
- Promoting Stakeholder Engagement: The Better Business Act recognizes the importance of engaging and considering the interests of all stakeholders, including employees, customers, communities, and the environment. By signing the act, we emphasize our dedication to fostering meaningful relationships, addressing social issues, and ensuring fair treatment for all those affected by our operations.
- Enhancing Corporate Governance: The act encourages organizations to be transparent in their operations. By signing, we commit to embracing ethical business practices, responsible leadership, and the inclusion of diverse perspectives, thus reinforcing trust and confidence in our business.
- Building Reputation and Trust: Signing the Better Business Act demonstrates our commitment to being responsible corporate citizens. It helps build trust and credibility among our stakeholders, including customers and the wider community.
- Influencing Industry Standards: By signing the Better Business Act, we join a movement that seeks to transform the business landscape. Our commitment can inspire other organizations to follow suit, creating a ripple effect that drives positive change throughout industries and sectors. Collectively, this can contribute to the creation of a more sustainable, equitable, and resilient economy.
By signing the Better Business Act, it demonstrates our business’s commitment to ethical, sustainable, and responsible business practices. It sets the stage for our work to obtain a BCorp certification, by aligning what we do with that of the best interests of stakeholders, putting transparency and sustainable development at the heart of what we do. By joining this movement, we contribute to building a more equitable, resilient, and prosperous future for both our business and the community as a whole.